We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success.
Umoja actively serves and promotes student success for all students through a curriculum and pedagogy responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas.
THE ORGANIZING PRINCIPLES OF OUR COMMUNITY.
- We share a name with a core set of pedagogies and promising practices.
- We support the academic success of all students.
- We support the persistence and retention of all students toward defined educational goals: transfer, certificate, associate degree.
- We Integrate both instructional and student services.
- We integrate direct instruction of information and technology literacy.
- We integrate sound assessment strategies and a set of core benchmark measures.
- We recruit and train students, staff and faculty through seminars, conferences, and other professional development.
- We facilitate the sharing of resources: financial, curriculum, methodologies, pedagogies.